The Historic Landmarks Commission (HLC) consists of five members and holds regularly scheduled meetings on the second Wednesday of each month, at 8:30 a.m. This is an appointed group and their powers are as follows:
- Undertake an inventory of properties of historical, prehistoric, architectural, and/or cultural significance.
- Recommend to the Board of Commissioners that individual structures, buildings, sites, areas or objects to be designated by ordinance as "Landmarks".
- Recommend to the Board of Commissioners that the designation of any building, structure, site, area or object as a landmark, be revoked or removed for cause.
- Review and act upon proposals for the alteration or demolition of designated landmarks.
- Conduct an educational program with respect to historic landmarks within its jurisdiction.
- Cooperate with the state, federal and local government in pursuance of the purpose of the Town Code.
- Prepare and recommend the official adoption of a preservation element as part of the Town of Kill Devil Hills comprehensive plan.
- Restore, preserve and operate historic properties.