EMERGENCY, ROUTINE ALERTS, and NOTIFICATIONS
AVAILABLE TO KILL DEVIL HILLS RESIDENTS,
VISITORS, and PROPERTY OWNERS
To receive a variety of local/Dare County, Kill Devil Hills alerts and notifications, including:
- Severe weather watches and warnings;
- Evacuation orders;
- Disruptions or delays in water delivery;
- Trash collection schedule changes and updates;
- Town-specific notifications,
follow this link https://www.darenc.com/departments/emergency-management/emergency-alerts to register and select your notification preferences in this new system. You will be prompted to input your first and last name, an email address and a physical address. Providing a physical address allows the system to deliver alerts to those in a specific geographic area.
There is a new provider for this service and individuals who are currently subscribed to emergency alerts with Dare County will need to re-register with OBXAlerts through the link highlighted above.
TWICE-PER-WEEK RESIDENTIAL REFUSE
The Town of Kill Devil Hills will resume its twice-per-week residential refuse collections on Monday, March 29, 2021 through Friday, October 29, 2021:
• East side of US Highway 158: Mondays and Thursdays
• West side of US Highway 158: Tuesdays and Fridays
Please take advantage of the Town’s Recycle and Dry Trash Drop-Off Centers, located at 701 Bermuda Bay Boulevard, which are open Monday through Friday, 8 a.m. to 3:30 p.m., and on Saturday, 8 a.m. to 1:30 p.m. Recycle Center services are available for anyone; however, the Dry Trash Drop-Off services are available to Town residents and property owners only and a permit is required. Obtain a permit at the Public Services office, 107 Town Hall Drive, or call 252-480-4080 for more information.
Additionally, Town residents can subscribe for curbside residential recycling service offered by Bay Disposal & Recycling, for a small fee. For more information, call 252-491-5105.
GOOD FRIDAY HOLIDAY AND REFUSE
The Town of Kill Devil Hills offices will be closed on Friday, April 2, 2021, in observance of Good Friday. All Town offices will reopen at 8 a.m. on Monday, April 5, 2021.
Residential refuse collections:
Monday, March 29: Normal Collection (East Side of Town)
Tuesday, March 30: Normal Collection (West Side of Town)
Wednesday, March 31: Adjusted Collection (East Side of Town)
Thursday, April 1: Adjusted Collection (West Side of Town)
Friday, April 2: No residential refuse collections will be made on Good Friday
Commercial refuse collections schedule:
Monday, March 29 through Thursday, April 1: Normal commercial refuse collections
Friday, April 2: No commercial refuse collections will be made on Good Friday
Recycle Center & Dry Trash Drop-Off Center:
The Recycle Center and the Dry Trash Drop-Off Center will be closed on Friday, April 2, 2021. Both centers will reopen at 8:00 a.m. on Saturday, April 3, 2021.
The Town of Kill Devil Hills wishes everyone a safe and happy holiday.
BULK TRASH COLLECTION SCHEDULED
The Town of Kill Devil Hills Public Services Department will begin collection of APPROVED bulk trash items from IMPROVED properties within the Town of Kill Devil Hills on Monday, April 19, 2021. APPROVED items for collection may be placed in the Street right-of way not earlier than Sunday, April 4, 2021 and not later than Sunday, April 18, 2021.
Please place approved bulk trash items in (4) separate bundles as follows:
- Branches: No longer than 6 feet
- Tree Trunks: No more than 14 inches in length and 12 inches in diameter (No stumps, lot clearings, or debris from unimproved lots)
- Bagged Yard Waste: Pine needle, pine cones, lawn clippings, leaves, etc. PLEASE DO NOT use plastic trash bags for yard waste: USE PAPER BIODEGRADABLE YARD DEBRIS BAGS for items such as pine needles, pine cones, lawn clippings, and leaves. Please ask for these biodegradable yard bags at your local hardware or gardening supply center. For use during this collection, residents that live within the Town of Kill Devil Hills corporate limits may obtain a limited supply of these bags, at no charge and while supplies last, from the Town’s Public Services office located at 107 Town Hall Drive. Please call 252-480-4080 for availability and instructions.
- White Goods and Metals: Refrigerators (please remove doors), stoves, washing machines, dryers, hot water heaters, bicycles, metal lawn furniture, air conditioners, metal bed frames, etc.
- No items can be longer than 12 feet – pipe, cable, etc.
- No vehicles or any major portion of cars, boats, trailers, motorcycles, etc.
- No motors or machinery with an oil reservoir or gas tank
- No propane tanks or sealed canisters of any type
- Large Furniture Items: Sofas, beds, mattresses, chairs, tables, bookshelves, etc.
- No construction materials or lumber of any kind - no pallets, cabinets, paneling, doors, carpet, flooring, insulation, drywall, shingles, tubs, toilets, sinks, etc.
- No concrete, masonry materials, or asphalt
- No glass - no windows, televisions, mirrors, camper shells, etc.
PROHIBITED ITEMS: No tires, cardboard, paper products, recyclables, paint, paint products, hazardous materials, or items produced as a result of a contracted service or business
Non-approved materials, mixed piles, and items that are improperly sorted will not be collected!
Additional information about the upcoming Spring Bulk Trash Collection can be obtained by calling the Public Services Department at 252-480-4080 or by visiting the Town of Kill Devil Hills’ website at www.kdhnc.com