Commissioner Terry Gray
Terry Gray grew up on the Outer Banks and graduated from Manteo High School. His parents owned a local drive-in restaurant and working there, Terry was introduced to the work ethic that has been the mainstay of his commitment of service to the public. Terry is the lead organizer for the Dare County Motorsports Charity Group, a local non-profit foundation that raises money to provide a merrier Christmas for underprivileged children in Dare County. Over the years, they have raised thousands of dollars and helped thousands of kids with Christmas. Terry and his group also provide scholarships for graduating seniors in all three Dare County High Schools.
Terry pursued a career in the Hampton Roads area, managing auto parts stores for Youngs Auto Supply Warehouse and managed several stores. He also managed dealership parts stores for Barker Automotive Group. Returning to Dare County with his wife, Jane, and two daughters, they added a son and another daughter. The Grays are proud to call Kill Devil Hills home. Their children, Jennifer, Katie, Terry, Jr., and Molly, were all graduates of Dare County Schools. Terry and his wife of 44 years now enjoy the grandkids playing on the front yard and making memories of Kill Devil Hills.
One of Terry’s proudest moments was when he was KDH Mayor: a tough tri-party agreement was hammered out between the Dare County School Board, the Nature Conservancy, and the Town of Kill Devil Hills that made possible the construction of the First Flight High School. Terry jokes now, “It was a tough fought battle, but the kids won!”
- Retired, NC DOT 24 years, Ferry Operations Manager
- Kill Devil Hills Commissioner 2017 to Present
- Kill Devil Hills Commissioner 1991 – 1993
- Mayor Town of Kill Devil Hills 1993 2-year Term
- Management, Barker Automotive Group 1982 to 1986
- Operations Manager, Youngs Auto Supply Warehouse Government sales
Prior / ongoing community involvement:
- Past member, Board of Directors, NC League of Municipalities, 1994-1995
- Past member, Board of Directors, Nags Head Business Assoc.
- Past Member Dare County Tourism Board 1993
- Board Representative, Chairman, West Side Recreation Group KDH
- Member, Kill Devil Hills Neighborhood Watch
- Past Member Town of KDH Planning Board 1987-1991
- Past Member, NC First Flight Centennial Commission
- Past member First Flight Rotary Club
- Current Director, Dare County Motorsports Charity Group
Terry is immensely proud of his heritage: his great grandmother was born at the Bodie Island Lighthouse; her father was the longest serving lightkeeper there. Terry's father’s mother was a native Nags Header, living in Nags Head Woods and later moving to the sound side.
Terry says the environment is so important to us - we must keep our focus on ways to preserve our natural resources.
Terry’s main goals are:
- Protection of water quality
- Enrichment of open spaces
- Improve neighborhood parks and sidewalks
- Improve maintenance of our ditches and drainage systems
- Support of our first responders
- Promotion of transparency in government and accountability
Terry encourages residents to reach out to him for discussion of Town matters or concerns: his personal cell number is 252-256-1064. Feel free to use it to contact him.