June 13, 2022 Board of Commissioners Meeting
NOTICE OF PUBLIC MEETING
NOTICE is hereby given that on Monday, June 13, 2022, at 6:00 o’clock p.m., the Kill Devil Hills Board of Commissioners will hold a regular meeting of the month in the Town Hall Meeting Room at 102 Town Hall Drive.
This agenda and meeting materials are available at https://www.kdhnc.com/1022/June-13-2022-Board-of-Commissioners-Meet and a printed packet is available for public inspection in the Office of the Town Clerk, Kill Devil Hills Town Hall, 102 Town Hall Drive. Live-streaming will be on the KDH YouTube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/user/townofkdh
Written comments for Public Comment can be emailed to: firstname.lastname@example.org. Comments must include your name and address and are limited to three minutes for individuals, and five minutes when speaking for a group.
Call to Order
Pledge of Allegiance and Moment of Silence
Response to public comment
- Planning Board
- Community Appearance Commission
Town Manager’s Agenda
Town Attorney’s Agenda
A. May 25, 2022
2. Monthly report
A. April 2022
3. Budget Amendments and Transfers
- Budget amendment # 20 – PEG Channel support funds
- Budget amendment # 21 – to appropriate funds for Seminole Street/Indian Drive & US 158 Drainage Project.
- Budget amendment # 23 – to appropriate funds for Fleet Maintenance inventory
- Budget amendment # 24 – to appropriate safety grant funding awarded by NCLM
5. ARP ethics guidelines
- Summary of required policies pertaining to ARP/CSLFRF funds
- Resolution Establishing Eligible Project Policy and Records Retention Policy
Response to Public Comment
Posted this 8th day of June 2022.
James Michael O’Dell
NOTICE OF WORKSESSION AND PUBLIC HEARING
ON THE TOWN MANAGER’S RECOMMENDED BUDGET
For Fiscal Year 2022/2023
NOTICE IS HEREBY GIVEN, in accordance with NCGS §159-12, on Monday, June 13, 2022, at 6:00 p.m. the Kill Devil Hills Board of Commissioners will hold a public hearing to receive public comment, both written and oral, regarding the Town Manager’s Recommended Budget for Fiscal Year 2022/2023. The recommended budget’s public hearing can be accessed by the public through live-streaming on the KDH YouTube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/user/townofkdh
Written comments, which will be included with the record of the public hearing on the Recommended Budget for Fiscal Year 2022/2023, may be submitted to the Office of the Town Clerk, P.O. Box 1719, Kill Devil Hills, NC 27948, or by e-mail to: email@example.com. The KDH website also provides citizens a Budget Portal where comments can be submitted electronically, with links to the recommended budget: https://www.kdhnc.com/682/Resources-in-the-Finance-Department Comments must include your name and address and should be limited to three minutes when read aloud.
The Recommended Budget was presented to the Board of Commissioners on Monday, May 16, 2022. Significant elements of the Recommended Budget include, but are not limited to:
- For the Town of Kill Devil Hills, the Recommended Budget reflects the Town-wide tax rate of $.32 per $100 of real property; the additional tax rate applicable to real property listed within Kill Devil Hills’ Beach Erosion Control and Flood and Hurricane Protection Works Municipal Service District (MSD), charged for the purpose of raising the revenue listed as “Taxes – Municipal Service District” is $.24 per $100 of real property.
- The ongoing beach re-nourishment project is financed by special obligation bonds, contributions from Dare County beach nourishment fund, ad valorem revenues. Other sources of revenues are grants from FEMA and NCDEQ.
- Retail water rates are recommended to increase 4% as the Town continues to address operating costs and waterline and system improvements that are associated with the Water System Master Plan. Tap fees and System Development Fees are also proposed to increase based on cost of materials and installation.
- Funding in the amount of $886,000 is included in the Street Capital Reserve Fund, and $250,000 in Powell Bill revenues, for street/drainage improvements in several areas of Town. Discretionary street maintenance and repair funding is continued in the amount of $150,000.
- Other Capital Reserve Fund contributions are recommended to be as follows:
- Sidewalks = $200,000
- Shoreline Access = $75,000
- Recreation = $75,000
- Beach Nourishment = $955,069
- Debt service payments for the 2022/2023 Fiscal Year are included as follows:
- Recommended Lease Payments = $1,304,133
- Debt Service – Public Works Complex = $612,760
- Debt Service – Beach Nourishment = $3,797,625
- A 6% cost of living adjustment increase is recommended.
- Tipping fees for an estimated 10,850 tons of garbage at $90 per ton, and 1,100 tons of construction and demolition debris at $65.00 per ton.
- Fleet investments include: five police vehicles and utility vehicle, mower, three pickup trucks, fire truck, two commercial garbage trucks, and a grapple attachment for a roll-off.
All citizens of the Town of Kill Devil Hills are invited and encouraged to attend the public hearing and make oral or written comments on the recommended use of funds. A copy of the budget and budget ordinance, in their entirety, are available for public inspection: at the main entrance to 102 Town Hall Drive, Monday thru Friday. Copies of the budget may be purchased for $25.00 in the Kill Devil Hills Tax and Finance Department, 102 Town Hall Drive.
Worksession on the Town Manager’s Recommended Budget for Fiscal Year 2022/2023
On Wednesday, May 25, 2022, at 6:00 p.m. in the Meeting Room at 102 Town Hall Drive, the Board of Commissioners will conduct a worksession on the Town Manager’s Recommended Budget for Fiscal Year 2022/2023. During the worksession, the Board of Commissioners may make changes to the Recommended Budget to be included prior to budget adoption. The recommended budget’s worksession can be accessed by the public through live-streaming on the Town’s YouTube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/user/townofkdh
Interested persons may contact the Office of the Town Clerk, 252-449-5300, or firstname.lastname@example.org to obtain additional information or have questions answered.
Posted this 19th day of May 2022.
James Michael O’Dell